While it’s easier than ever to be creative, to create, to imagine and make what’s imagined become reality, it’s also tougher than ever- distractions abound in ways never before imagined.
No matter what kind of a creative you are — writer, painter,
musician, marketer, blogger, photographer, designer, parent, business owner — you are likely always looking for inspirations, for ways to unleash your creative genius.
Certainly, there are millions of creativity tips on the Internet so I
thought I’d share 31 of the ones I’ve found to be most useful — those that I’ve
tried and tested and found to be helpful for me.
Here they are, in no order at all:
- Don’t consume and create at the same time — separate the processes.
- Shut out the outside world.
- Reflect on your life and work daily.
- Look for inspiration all around you, in the smallest places.
- Start small.
- Just get it out, no matter how crappy that first draft.
- Don’t try for perfect. Just get it out there, asap, and get feedback.
- Constantly make it better.
- Ignore the naysayers.
- But let criticism help you grow.
- Teach and you’ll learn.
- Shake things up, see things in new ways.
- Apply things in other fields to your field, in ways not done before.
- Drink ridiculous amounts of coffee.
- Write all ideas down immediately.
- Turn your work into play.
- Play with kids.
- Get out, move, see new things, talk to new people.
- Read wildly different things. Especially stuff you disagree with.
- Get lots of rest. Overwork kills creativity.
- Don’t force it. Relax, play, it will start to flow.
- Allow your mind to wander. Allow distractions, when you’re looking for inspiration.
- Then shut them off when you’re going to create.
- Do it when you’re excited.
- When you’re not, find something else to be excited about.
- Don’t be afraid to be stupid and silly.
- Small ideas are good. You don’t need to change the world — just change one thing.
- When something is killing your creativity, kill it.
- Stop reading creativity advice, clear away everything, and just create.
- Most of all, have fun doing it.
- You are so creative … (rickcartwright.com)
- Creativity! (mohitshroff.wordpress.com)
- Imagine: Anyone can be creative (markkelly.wordpress.com)